5.08.2010

Children's Picture Books

I guess I've always liked children's picture books. As a child I read my favorites over and over again. When my children were young I read to them and my affection for picture books was rekindled. Time passed, my children grew up and moved on to other things. But I still like picture books. My like has grown into a collection that needs another bookshelf. My collection is not very valuable in monetary terms, but visually is rich to me. My criteria in buying a picture book? I buy it because I like the art in it.

I'm not an expert on children's picture books. My intent is to share my corner of this wonderful world with other people who enjoy children's picture books too. Whether it be for inspiration, ideas, favorite illustrators or writers, nostalgia or just sitting in a comfortable chair with a good book; children's picture books offer a lot.  They can provide us with a time to bond with our children. Children's picture books allow us as adults a certain freedom and creativity and a connection to our own childhood.

2 comments:

  1. Jil,

    Sylvie has this book and has read it many, many times. The woodcuts are stunning and I really like the muted pallette.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's that kind of book you can keep going back to. It's so nice we have that in common.

    ReplyDelete